Monday, May 11, 2009

A day with Connor at school

Connor's preschool had Mom's Day in his classroom last week. It was so fun to see him in school and see how he operates. He is a reserved, but happy little man around others, so I was interested in watching school time to see what he was like with his friends.

I really enjoyed my time with Connor. Watching preschoolers just have always given me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside! We got to make a cool hat, plant a flower, do some painting and play with other cool stuff. Our highlight was the scrapbook that the teachers update throughout the year with their progress. It's amazing to see how much they change in a year of preschool.

It nearly brought me to tears when it was time for us moms to leave. Connor got upset and wanted me to stay. None of the other moms were staying and I wanted him to finish class, so I didn't stay...but those were painful tears to watch fall on his little face. I'm so glad he enjoys school and that isn't the normal reaction to being left there! And the sweetest part was when two of his little friends came up to him, patted him on the back and said, "It's okay, Connor...come sit with us and play!" Still gets me teary eyed!

Connor will attend preschool again next year for 4 days a week. I'm excited he will get another year in preschool. I think he could probably have handled kindergarten next year academically, but emotionally I think he needs to wait another year. By then he will be ready and excited for kindergarten!





No comments: